You are here
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched dedicated meteorological and oceanographic satellites viz., INSAT series, Kalpana-1, Megha-Tropiques, Oceansat-1 & 2, RISAT-1, SARAL and Scatsat. In future, ISRO has planned to launch GISAT and a few more satellites for meteorological and oceanographic studies. Data collected by these satellites are archived and disseminated through a data portal ‘Meteorological and Oceanographic Satellite Data Archival Centre’ (MOSDAC) designed and developed by Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad.
SMART is ISRO’s initiative to support students, academics and researchers across the country to pursue research in the field of meteorology and oceanography using satellite data archived at MOSDAC and other related datasets. SMART is managed by MOSDAC Research and Training Division (MRTD), MOSDAC Research Group, SAC
SMART provides the following support for students, academics and researchers:-
- Familiarisation to MOSDAC
- Data analytics and advanced visualisation
- State-of-the-art computer facilities and research guidance
- Free of cost access to data available in MOSDAC
Two outreach initiatives namely (i) Research Initiative and (ii) Training Initiative are planned as part of SMART to accomplish its objective.
- A dedicated research and training lab equipped with state-of-the-art workstations, display systems, MOSDAC data, storage facility, etc., are established in SAC as part of SMART.
- Students, academics and researchers attending the research and training programmes will be permitted to use the SAC canteen facility during their stay at SAC.
Research initiative of SMART offers three programmes to cater the needs of students, academics and researchers across the country namely:
- Research Initiation Programme (IP) : This programme is designed to initiate research aptitude among students, academics and researchers in the field of Satellite Meteorology and Oceanography. Post-graduate students of Meteorology, Oceanography and related fields, intending to do their final year/semester project, young researchers and academics may apply for this programme. They will be provided research guidance and support to carry out research for three to nine months.
- Advanced Research Programme (ARP): In this programme, researchers and academics attached with institutes and universities across the country will be supported in carrying out advanced research in their field using MOSDAC data for about three to nine months. They will be introduced to advanced satellite data retrieval techniques, calibration/validation methods and latest results on satellite data applications.
- Data Exploration Programme (DEP) : It is an inter-disciplinary data exploratory programme on Satellite Meteorology and Oceanography. It is open for undergraduate students, academics and researchers of recognized universities and research institutions with innovative ideas to use satellite data in Meteorology, Oceanography, Data mining and Image processing. They will be provided research guidance, computational and data support to carry out research for three to nine months.
Under SMART, satellite data training programmes will be organised periodically to popularise MOSDAC data among students, academics and researchers. It is generally a short duration (three to five days) programme, planned about 2-3 times a year. About 15 participants will be admitted to this programme. Familiarization of MOSDAC data, hands-on sessions on data handling and pre- and post-satellite launch trainings will be part of this training initiative.
Calendar of SMART training programme will be announced well in advance.
Dr. V. SATHIYAMOORTHY
Room No 6112
Space Applications Centre, Bopal Campus
Indian Space Research Organisation
BOPAL, Ahmedabad -380058, INDIA
Phone: 079-26916112 (Office)
|Serial Number||Name||State||Research Programme||Work Duration||Arrival Date||Reliving Date||Qualifying Degree||University||Brief Synopsis|
|1||PAMPI MALAKAR||Assam||Advance Research programme||Three Months||Fri, 2016-04-22||Fri, 2016-07-22||Ph.D. Scholar||Assam University, Silchar||201603.pdf|
|2||PIYUSH PALLAV||Bihar||Data Exploration programme||One Month||Fri, 2016-07-01||Sat, 2016-07-30||M. Sc||Central University of Jharkhand||201617.pdf|
|3||KISHORE KOWTHAM||Tamil Nadu||Research Initiation Programme||One Month||Wed, 2016-06-01||Thu, 2016-06-30||M.E||Anna University, Chennai||201621.pdf|
|4||K R VIJAY||Tamil Nadu||Research Initiation Programme||One Month||Thu, 2016-06-02||Thu, 2016-06-30||M.E||Anna University, Chennai||201623.pdf|
|5||DEBOJIT SARKAR||West Bengal||Research Initiation Programme||One Month||Sun, 2016-05-01||Tue, 2016-05-31||M.Sc||IIT Bhubaneswar||201613.pdf|
|6||EMMANUEL RONGMIE||Assam||Research Initiation Programme||One Month||Sun, 2016-05-01||Tue, 2016-05-31||M.Sc Ph.D.||IIT Bhubaneswar||201614.pdf|
|7||SUBROTA HALDER||West Bengal||Data Exploration programme||One Month||Sun, 2016-05-01||Tue, 2016-05-31||M.Sc||IIT Bhubaneswar||201612.pdf|
|8||AAKASH TRIPATHI||Uttar Pradesh||Data Exploration programme||One Month||Mon, 2016-06-13||Tue, 2016-07-12||M.Sc||IIT Bhubaneswar||201611.pdf|
|9||LEKHADIYA HIREN||Gujarat||Advance Research programme||One Month||Mon, 2016-06-13||Tue, 2016-07-12||Ph.D.||SVNIT, Surat||201628.pdf|
|10||MANUSHI SHAH||Gujarat||Research Initiation Programme||One Month||Sun, 2016-05-01||Tue, 2016-05-31||B. Arch||Indus University, Ahmedabad||201606.pdf|
|Serial number||Training Title||Start Date||End Date||Training Photo|
|1||Satellite Scatterometry with special emphasis on ScatSat-1 [Batch-I]||Wed, 2016-10-19||Fri, 2016-10-21||STP_01A.pdf|
|2||Satellite Scatterometry with special emphasis on ScatSat-1 [Batch-II]||Wed, 2016-11-23||Fri, 2016-11-25||STP_01B.pdf|
|3||INSAT-3DR: Observations to Applications [Batch-I]||Tue, 2017-02-14||Fri, 2017-02-17||STP_02A.pdf|
|4||INSAT-3DR: Observations to Applications [Batch-II]||Tue, 2017-03-07||Fri, 2017-03-10||STP_02B.pdf|
|5||Special Training on INSAT-3D/3DR for Indian Air Force Meteorology Branch Officers||Mon, 2017-04-03||Fri, 2017-04-07||STP_03.pdf|
|6||Satellite Altimetry Applications: Emphasis to SARAL AltiKa [Batch-I]||Mon, 2017-09-04||Fri, 2017-09-08||STP_04A.pdf|
|7||Satellite Altimetry Applications: Emphasis to SARAL AltiKa [Batch-II]||Mon, 2017-09-25||Fri, 2017-09-29||STP_04B.pdf|
|8||INSAT-3DR: Techniques and Potential Applications for Aviation||Mon, 2017-11-20||Fri, 2017-11-24||STP_05.pdf|
|9||Basics of Satellite Meteorology [Batch-I]||Mon, 2018-02-12||Fri, 2018-02-16||STP_06A.pdf|
|10||Basics of Satellite Meteorology [Batch-2]||Mon, 2018-03-05||Fri, 2018-03-09||STP_02_2018.pdf|